Karthikeyan (Karthik) Sundaresan
Mobile Communications and Networking Research, NEC Laboratories America
4 Independence Way, Princeton NJ 08540
I am a research staff member at NEC Laboratories America, Inc., in the Mobile Communications and Networking (MCN) Research department. My research interests are in the areas of wireless networking, systems and mobile computing. Currently, I work on designing efficient algorithmic solutions as well as building experimental systems for broadband wireless access networks and WLANs/ WPANs. Of late, most of my works have been cross-layer oriented - operating at MAC and above, while leveraging PHY layer properties. Some of my recent projects can be broadly categorized under the following domains.
Wireless Networking with Small Cells
Small cells (relays, femtocells, micro and pico cells) are critical components needed to meet the increased spectral efficiency demands of next generation broadband access networks like LTE-adv and WiMAX. We are interested in designing and prototyping efficient resource management solutions for both these access technologies. Some of our system related efforts in this area include
For more information on our small cell projects, please check (here)
- iBUS: An intergrated system for beamforming and user scheduling in OFDMA small cells
- RADION: A distributed resource and interference management system for OFDMA based small cells
- FERMI: A centralized resource and interference management system for OFDMA based small cells
Wireless Networking with Smart Antennas
Smart antennas can deliver promising gains at both the link and network level. However, leveraging them effectively requires intelligent MAC layer solutions. We have looked at MAC solutions for various forms of smart antenna techniques ranging from simple switched beamforming to more sophisticated adaptive beamforming and Mu-MIMO. More recently, we have also been looking into network MIMO and full-duplex systems. We have also prototyped some of our solutions...
For more information on our projects in these areas, please check (here).
- NEMOx: A system for leveraging network MIMO gains in a scalable manner in large wireless networks
- MIDU: A system that enables tandem operation of MIMO and Full Duplex, with a judicious use of available spatial degrees of freedom between them
- ADAM: A system for improving wireless link layer multicasting with the use of adaptive beamforming antennas
A brief list of my past projects and theses during graduate school can be found here.
C. Liu, K. Sundaresan, M. Jiang, S. Rangarajan, G.K. Chang, IEEE INFOCOM 2013.
- "The Case for Re-configurable Backhaul for Cloud-RAN based Small cell Networks"
M. Arslan, I.Singh, S. Singh, H. Madhyastha, K. Sundaresan, S. Krishnamurthy, ACM CONEXT 2012.
- "Computing while Charging: Building a Distributed Computing Infrastructure with Smartphones"
S. Singh, K. Sundaresan, A. Khojastepour, S. Rangarajan, S. Krishnamurthy, ACM HOTNETS 2012.
- "One Strategy Does not Serve All: Tailoring Wireless Transmission Strategies to User Profiles"
E. Aryafar, M.Khojastepour, K. Sundaresan, S. Rangarajan, M. Chiang, ACM MOBICOM 2012.
- "Enabling MIMO Full Duplex."
M. Arslan, K. Sundaresan, S. Krishnamurthy, S. Rangarajan, ACM MOBIHOC 2012.
- "Design and Implementation of an Integrated Beamformer and Uplink Scheduler for OFDMA Femtocells."
J. Yoon, M. Arslan, K. Sundaresan, S. Krishnamurthy, S. Banerjee, ACM MOBIHOC 2012.
- "A Distributed Resource Management Framework for Interference Mitigation in OFDMA Femtocell Networks."
K. Sundaresan and S. Rangarajan, IEEE INFOCOM 2012.
- "Adaptive Resource Scheduling in Wireless OFDMA Relay Networks."
E. Aryafar, A. Khojastepour, K. Sundaresan, E. Knightly, S. Rangarajan, IEEE INFOCOM 2012.
- "ADAM: An Adaptive Beamforming System for Multicasting in Wireless LANs"
A. Khojastepour, K. Sundaresan, S. Rangarajan, X. Zhang, S. Barghi, ACM HOTNETS 2011.
- "The Case for Antenna Cancellation for Scalable Full Duplex Communications."
M. Arslan, J. Yoon, K. Sundaresan, S. Krishnamurthy and S. Banerjee, Proceedings of ACM MOBICOM, Sept 2011.
- "FERMI: A Femtocell Resource Management System for Interference Mitigation in OFDMA Networks."
K. Sundaresan and S. Rangarajan, ACM MOBIHOC 2011.
- "Scheduling Algorithms for Video Multicasting with Channel Diversity in Wireless OFDMA Networks."
A list of my publications can be found here.
- Best Paper Award in ACM MOBIHOC 2008
- Best Paper Award in IEEE ICNP 2005
- Best Paper Award in IEEE SECON 2005
- Sigma Xi Award for best doctoral thesis, Georgia Tech
- Sigma Xi Award for best master's thesis, Georgia Tech
- University Gold Medal for outstanding academic performance, Anna Univeristy
- Ramanujam Centennial Gold Medal for outstanding performance in Mathematics in the B.Tech discipline, Anna University
- Alumni Award for best outgoing student in the School of ECE, Anna University
- Alumni Award for best undergraduate project thesis in the B.Tech discipline, Anna University
- IEEE SECON 2013.
- Editorial Board: IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing
- Program Committee Chair
- IEEE WiMesh Workshop 2009; co-located with IEEE SECON 2009.
- NSF Panel on NetworkTechnology and Systems, 2012.
- Poster Chair: ACM MobiHoc 2012, IEEE SECON 2010.
- Demo Chair: IEEE SECON 2010.
- Publicity Chair: ACM MobiCom/MobiHoc 2010.
- Publications Chair: ACM DIWANS Workshop 2006; co-located with ACM MOBICOM 2006.
- "MIMO in Sensor and Ad-hoc Networks: Challenges and Opportunities", IEEE SECON 2008.
- Evaluation Committee Member: "MIMONet" Project, funded by Italian National Research Council, Jan 2012.
- Technical program committee member: ACM MOBICOM 2008/2011/2012, ACM SIGCOMM 2009, IEEE INFOCOM 2012, IEEE SECON 2009/2012, IFIP Networking 2007/2008.
- Reviewer: IEEE INFOCOM, ICNP; ACM MOBICOM, MOBIHOC, SIGCOMM; IEEE/ACM Trans. on Networking, Mobile Computing, JSAC, etc.
Prospective Interns: Please check here for internship opportunities in our MCN dept. In particular, if you are a Ph.D. student with strong prototyping skills and are interested in working on wireless cross-layer projects, drop me an email as well with your resume.