I am a Research Staff Member in the
My interests include file systems,
storage systems, operating systems, and networking. Before
to NEC Laboratories, I worked at EMC/Crosstor on disk-based file
systems, stackable file systems, and storage-area
Before that, I worked at AT&T Bell Laboratories in the UNIX
V kernel development group.
- HYDRAstor File System -- a
file system built on top of a content-addressable storage
- NFS Performance Enhancements -- NFS client changes to improve the
throughput of large sequential write workloads. Test results from an early
version can be
found here. Source
from the final version can be found here.
- R. Stevens and S. Rago. Advanced Programming in
the UNIX Environment, 3rd Edition.
Addison-Wesley, 2013. Book's web site.
- C. Ungureanu, B. Debnath, S. Rago, and A. Aranya. "TBF: A
Memory-Efficient Replacement Policy for Flash-based Caches,"
29th International Conference on Data Engineering
(ICDE'13), April 2013.
- S. Rago, A. Bohra, and C. Ungureanu. "Using eager
strategies to improve NFS I/O performance" (extended
Journal of Parallel,
Emergent and Distributed Systems. 28:2(2013),
pp. 134-158 (originally published online, March 2012).
- S. Rago, A. Bohra, and C. Ungureanu. "Using Eager
Strategies to Improve NFS I/O Performance," 6th IEEE International
Networking, Architecture, and Storage, July 2011. (Awarded best paper.)
- C. Ungureanu, A. Aranya, S. Gokhale, S. Rago, B. Atkin, A.
C. Dubnicki, and G. Calkowski. "HydraFS: A
System for the HYDRAstor Content-Addressable Storage
System," Proceedings of
the 8th USENIX Conference
on File and Storage Technologies, February 2010.
- S. Yin, Y. Luo, L. Zong, S. Rago, J. Yu, N. Ansari, and T.
Wang. "Storage Area Network Extension over Passive
Networks (S-PONs)," IEEE
Communications Magazine, January 2008.
- R. Stevens and S. Rago.
Programming in the UNIX Environment, 2nd Edition.
- M. Clark and S. Rago. "The DeskTop File System," Proceedings of the Summer 1994
Conference, pp. 113-124.
- S. Rago. UNIX
Network Programming. Addison-Wesley, 1993.
- S. Rago. "A Look at the Ninth Edition Network File
System," UNIX Research
Tenth Edition, Volume II, 1990, pp. 513-522.
- S. Rago. "Out-of-Band Communication in STREAMS," Proceedings of the Summer 1989
Conference, pp. 29-37.
- "Apparatus and Method for Maintaining a File System
Patent No. 8,135,763.
- "Selection of Migration Methods Including Partial Read
Distributed Storage Management," U.S. Patent No. 8,055,724.
- "File System Query and Method of Use," U.S. Patent No.
- "Apparatus and Method for Building a File System Index,"
Patent No. 7,783,615.
- "Self-describing File System," U.S. Patent No. 7,167,867.
- "Distributed Resource Management in a Storage Area
Patent No. 6,826,580.