Effective: January 1, 2020
Please take a moment to read this Policy to learn how we handle your personal information. If you have any questions regarding this Policy, please contact us using the contact information at the end of this Policy. By continuing to use our Sites and services, you agree with the terms of this Policy.
This Policy covers only data collected through the Site and not any other data collection or processing, including, without limitation, data collection practices of other web pages to which we link or data that we or our subsidiaries collect offline or through websites, products, or services that do not display a direct link to this Policy. Different or separate terms and privacy policies may apply to the solutions and services provided by others.
How we collect information
We collect information from a variety of sources. The following are categories of sources from which information may be collected:
- When you contact us via the “Contact Us” section on the Site, or otherwise actively send us data (in each such instance, you will know what data we collect through the Site, because you actively submit it);
- From third party service providers;
- Automatically from your computer or mobile device through cookies and online tools (see the Cookies section of this Policy for more information).
Information we collect
The specific pieces of personal information that NECLA collects, uses, and shares depends on how you use our Site or information we provide to those who contact us .
The categories of personal information we may collect on our Site include:
- Contact information (such as your name, institution, specialty, email address(es), mailing address(es), country)
- Internet or other Electronic/Online Network Activity Information (such as your browser type, operating system, IP address, domain name from which you accessed the Site, type of mobile device, date and time you visit the Site, areas or pages of the Site that you visit, the amount of time you spend viewing the Site, number of times you return to the Site and other click-stream data)
To provide certain information in response to your contacting us, we may also collect the following categories of personal information from you:
- Personal identifiers (such as your Social Security number, Driver’s License/State ID number, Passport number)
- Financial information (e.g., bank account and routing number for direct deposit)
- Employment/Professional information (such as occupation, title, and work experience).
- Demographic information (such as age, date of birth, gender, and ethnicity).
- Personal characteristics (such as veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, and familial information).
- Biometric information (such as fingerprints, facial scanning, voice recordings, and photographs/images).
- Geo-location information (such as city/state, zip code, physical location or movements)
- Internet or other Electronic/Online Network Activity information (such as IP address, browsing history, search history, device type, operating system, duration of session).
- Inferences drawn from the above categories of personal information reflecting your preferences, characteristics, behaviors, attitudes and abilities.
In addition to the above categories, you may provide us with additional pieces of information when you fill in a form, apply for a job, or communicate with us. To the extent permitted by applicable law, we may combine various types of data that we collect, including data from our customers or third party sources.
How we use information
We use the data we collect for the following purposes:
- To administer, protect and improve our Site and our systems;
- To better understand the preferences of our Site visitors;
- To compile aggregated statistics about Site usage;
- To help personalize your experience of our Site;
- To provide you with information about our technologies, news, and other communications; and
- Any other use we describe at the point where we collect the data.
Disclosures of Personal Information
We do not share your personally identifiable information with others, except as follows:
- Affiliated Entities. We may share your personal information to our subsidiaries and corporate affiliates, including future subsidiaries and affiliates of NECLA to use your information consistent with this Policy;
- Third Party Service Providers We may share personal information with Third Party Service Providers who provide us with services, such as data analysis, online advertising, payment processing, order fulfillment, IT services, credit information services, customer service, and other similar services. We grant our service providers access to personal information only to the extent needed for them to perform their functions, and require them to protect the confidentiality and security of such personal information;
- As required by law or in the interest of protecting or exercising our or others' legal rights, e.g., without limitation, in connection with requests from law enforcement officials and in connection with court proceedings;
- Transfers or Assignments. In the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our organization, assets or (including without limitation in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings), we may transfer any information that we collect from site users or offline to a third party;
- Where you have granted us permission, and we reserve the right to fully use and disclose any information collected via the Site that is not in personally identifiable form.
NECLA does not sell your personal information for money. We may share your personal information with third parties and service providers for the purposes described in this Policy.
Depending on your jurisdiction, applicable law may entitle you to certain rights and choices as it pertains to your personal information, including the right:
- To know the categories and/or specific pieces of personal information collected about you, including whether your personal information is sold or disclosed and the purpose, and with whom your personal information was shared;
- To request deletion of personal information;
- To access a copy of the personal information we retain about you;
- To opt-out of the sale of personal information; and
- To non-discrimination based on the exercise of a consumer’s privacy rights.
Exercising Your Rights
In connection with promotions or other special projects, we may ask you specifically whether you have objections against a certain kind of data use or sharing. If you opt-out under such circumstances, we will respect your decision.
If personal information you have submitted through the Site is no longer accurate, current, or complete, and you wish to update it, please contact us and upon appropriate request we will usually be glad to update or amend your information, but we reserve the right to use information obtained previously to verify your identity or take other actions that we believe are appropriate.
We reserve the right to deny your request if we cannot verify your identify. Where we deny your request in whole or in part, we will inform you of the denial, provide an explanation of our actions, and the reason(s) for the denial.
Transmissions over the Internet are never 100% secure or error-free. While we take reasonable steps to protect your personal information from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction, we cannot warrant the security of any information users transmit to us.
We may engage some third-party vendors, including Google, in remarketing activities online. While these activities are outside of the scope of this Policy, we wish to make you aware of them and your rights:
We may remarket through third-party vendors, including Google, to show our ads on sites across the Internet.
Children and Minors
We do not knowingly collect or use any information from children (we define “children” as minors younger than 16). We do not knowingly allow children to use our products, services, or communicate with us. If you are a parent and become aware that your child has provided us with information, please contact us using the contact information at the end of this Policy, and we will work with you to address the issue.
If you have questions about your personal information or your rights under this Policy, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or at the following address:
c/o Legal Department
NEC Laboratories America, Inc.
4 Independence Way, Suite 200
Princeton, NJ 08540