Effective: January 1, 2023
Please take a moment to read this Policy to learn how we handle your personal information. If you have any questions regarding this Policy, please contact us using the contact information at the end of this Policy. By continuing to use our websites you agree to the terms of this Policy.
This Policy covers only data collected through the Website, and through NECLA’s marketing efforts. It does not cover any other data collection or processing, including, without limitation, data collection practices of other web pages to which we link, or data that we or our subsidiaries collect offline or through other websites, communications, products, or services that do not display a direct link to this Policy. Different or separate terms and privacy policies may apply to the solutions and services we provide to our partners and collaborators; for example, we process data that our partners and collaborators provide to us pursuant to our agreements with them, and such processing is governed by the applicable data processing agreements that we have entered with them.
How We Collect Information
We collect information from a variety of sources. The following are categories of sources from which information may be collected:
- From you when you contact us via the “Contact Us” section on the Website, or otherwise actively send us data (in each such instance, you will know what data we collect through the Website, because you actively submit it);
- From business partners, third parties, and service providers (referred to as “processors” in certain jurisdictions) (including advertising networks and data analytics providers);
- Automatically from your computer or mobile device through cookies and other online tracking technologies (see the “Cookies” section of this Policy for more information);
- Public sources of data such as government databases or entities; and
- From our partners, and collaborators who request certain services to be provided.
Information We Collect
The specific pieces of personal information that NECLA collects, uses, and discloses depends on how you use our websites and/or on our marketing efforts.
The categories of personal information we may collect on our website include:
Contact information (such as your name, institution, specialty, email address(es), mailing address(es), country)
- Internet or other Electronic/Online Network Activity Information(such as your browser type, operating system, IP address, domain name from which you accessed the Website, type of mobile device, date and time you visit the Website, areas or pages of the Website that you visit, the amount of time you spend viewing the Website, the number of times you return to the Website, and other click-stream data)
In addition to the above categories, you may provide us with additional pieces of information when you fill in a form or communicate with us. To the extent permitted by applicable law, we may combine various types of data that we collect, including data from our partners, and collaborators, or other sources for use in an aggregated and anonymized manner.
How We Use Information
We use the data we collect for the following purposes:
- To provide a product or service to our partners and collaborators;
- To respond to requests that you send us;
- To administer, protect and improve our website and our systems;
- To better understand the preferences of our website visitors;
- To compile aggregated statistics about Website usage;
- To help personalize your experience of our Website;
- To provide you with information about our technologies, product or service releases, news, and other communications; and
- Any other business purpose permitted by applicable law or as we describe at the point where we collect the data.
Retaining Your Personal Data
Except as otherwise permitted or required by applicable law or regulation, to satisfy any legal or regulatory obligations, or to resolve disputes, we will retain your personal information (including the categories of personal information discussed in the sections above) for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which we collected it. In determining what constitutes an appropriate retention period for personal information, we consider applicable legal requirements, the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal information, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your personal information, the purposes for which we process your personal information, and whether those purposes can be achieved through other means.
Disclosures of Personal Information
NECLA does not sell your personal information for money. However, we disclose the categories of personal information listed above with the following categories of recipients for the purposes outlined in this Policy:
- Affiliated Entities. We may disclose your personal information to our subsidiaries and corporate affiliates, including future subsidiaries and affiliates of NEC, to use your information consistent with this Policy.
- Service Providers. We may disclose personal information with Service Providers who provide us with services, such as data analysis, online advertising, payment processing, order fulfillment, IT services, credit information services, customer service, and other similar services. We grant our service providers access to personal information only to the extent needed for them to perform their functions, and we require them to protect the confidentiality and security of such personal information.
- Government Authorities. We may disclose personal information to government authorities. For example, we may do so as required by law or in the interest of protecting or exercising our or others’ legal rights, such as without limitation, in connection with requests from law enforcement officials and in connection with court proceedings.
- Business Transfers or Assignments. In the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including, without limitation, in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings), we may transfer any information that we collect from Website users or offline to a third party.
- We may disclose personal information with recipients where you have granted us permission, and we reserve the right to fully use and disclose any information collected via the Website that is not in personally identifiable form.
Depending on your jurisdiction, applicable law may entitle you to certain rights and choices as it pertains to your personal information. Specifically, when the applicable laws become effective, if you are a resident of California, Colorado, Connecticut, Utah, or Virginia you have the rights to know (including whether your personal information is sold or disclosed and the purpose, and with whom your personal information was disclosed), delete, access, and opt out of sale/share, and profiling of personal information. If you are a resident of California, Colorado, Connecticut, or Virginia you have the right to correct your personal information that is no longer accurate, current, or complete. If you are a resident of Colorado, Connecticut, or Virginia, you have the right to opt-in for us to use your sensitive personal information. If you are a resident of California or Utah, you have the right to limit the use and disclosure of sensitive personal information. If you are a resident of California, you also have the right to non-discrimination.
We do not use sensitive personal information for the purpose of inferring characteristics about you; notwithstanding any of the forgoing, if NECLA discloses sensitive personal information, it would only be for the following enumerated reasons: to provide our goods and services, or as needed: to ensure security and integrity; to prevent fraud or illegal activity; for physical safety; for short-term, transient use, including for non-personalized advertising; to perform services on behalf of the business; and to verify or maintain the quality or safety of a service or device owned, manufactured, manufactured for, or controlled by us, and to improve, upgrade, or enhance such services or devices.
Exercising Your Rights
In connection with our websites or marketing efforts, we may ask you specifically whether you have objections against a certain kind of data use or disclosure. If you opt-out under such circumstances, we will respect your decision.
We reserve the right to deny your request if we cannot verify your identity. Where we deny your request in whole or in part, we will inform you of the denial, provide an explanation of our actions, and the reason(s) for the denial. Residents of Colorado, Connecticut, or Virginia may have the right to appeal requests that have been denied by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will not restrict or deny you access to our services because of choices and requests you make in connection with your personal information.
Transmissions over the Internet are never 100% secure or error-free. While we take reasonable steps to protect your personal information from loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction, we cannot warrant the security of any information users transmit to us.
Children and Minors
We do not knowingly collect or use any information from children (we define “children” as minors younger than 15 years of age on our websites. If you are a parent and become aware that your child has provided us with information, please contact us using the contact information at the end of this Policy, and we will work with you to address the issue.
California’s “Shine the Light” Law
If you are a California resident, you are entitled, once a year and free of charge, to request information regarding our disclosure, if any, of certain categories of Personal Information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes in the preceding calendar year. Note: NECLA does not sell or share personal information with third parties for their own direct marketing purposes, as those terms are defined by the statute, without your consent or providing the option to opt-out.
If you have questions about your personal information or your rights under this policy, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com or at the following address:
Customer Information Privacy Practices
c/o Legal Department
NEC Laboratories America
4 Independence Way, Suite 200
Princeton, NJ 08540